Coping with the Severe Weather in Wales
Well, that was exciting. I’m sorry for the lack of updates on the severe weather warning post on Wednesday evening, but not long after my post about the troubles Anna was having getting to the school to collect Morgan the power went off so I had no way of updating things online.
I had just jumped on the turbo trainer for a ride as it was far too dangerous to go outside but after about 20 minutes the power went off. Unfortunately, silly though it seems, my turbo trainer requires power to work, so that was then end of my session.
Thankfully there was hot water in the tank though as the shower wasn’t working and I had been on the bike just long enough to work up a sweat!
Anna and Morgan arrived home just as the power went out so we got out the candles and prepared for a night without electricity. The power had been on and off all day but for some reason, with the wind now gusting to 70 knots this felt as though it would be out for a while.
I’m glad I had tied the bee hives down as the roof had blown off one of the spare hives and the winds were howling.
We managed OK though, and as soon as we had the wood burning stove up to heat were able to boil water in saucepans on top of it and have a cup of tea.
We then wrapped potatoes and sweet potatoes in foil and put them on the fire and warmed beans on top of the stove. An hour later and the potatoes were cooked to perfection. Anna had hers with the beans and I toasted a couple of pieces of bread in front of the fire for Morgan to have beans on toast. I had my sweet potato with tuna, sweetcorn and mayonnaise and I have to say, it was the nicest tasting sweet potato I’ve ever had. I think we should cook on the fire more often!
I then decided to cook some porridge on top of it for pudding and once again it was delicious.
Forecasts look as though the winds will abate from midnight onwards, but as I write this it’s still blowing a hoolie out there. I think we have beaten the record wind gust, but until we have electricity and the computers can come back on I can’t tell for sure. I think we’ve hit 70 knots though.
Hopefully if the forecasts are correct and the winds ease overnight we’ll have power again by the morning. It may take longer than that though as I certainly wouldn’t want to be up a telegraph pole at the moment!
Evacuations in January, no electricity in February, what will March bring?